Saturday 31 May 2014

Yesterday was the last day of work for my predecessor. I hope and pray hard that I've learnt well all, if not most, of what she has taught me. I admit it. It's more difficult to teach an old dog new tricks but I try. She does a lot more than what I had done in my previous organisations. And thankfully, my new boss understands. There are a lot of accounting related task that has been 'grandfathered' by the HR department due to 'history' but I'll try. Well, at least I learn new things and with the salary increase that accompanied this new role, I have to.
 
Anyhow, today was another slow day for us. We attended a birthday party of my ex-colleague's daughter, who turned one. After attending the party and another 1 year old's a couple of weeks' back, I'm glad I stood firm on the decision not to hold one when K turned one. More often than not, the child is overwhelmed with what's going on and usually ends up crying with all the excitement and commotion happening. Well, other than photographs, I do not think the baby will remember anything of his/her first birthday at all.
 
So, in my humble opinion, holding the child's first birthday with family should suffice. People that the child has grown accustomed to.  A neighbour even advised us a hold a party only when the child starts asking for one. And I think that's a fine idea because as soon as that happens, I think it would be quite a lot more years that organising birthday parties will start to be a yearly affair.

1 comment:

  1. 1st bday parties are often, in my opinion, done up for the parents more than the child. And yes, there will be many years ahead where special birthday parties requests will be made.

    ReplyDelete