Monday 24 February 2014

When we dropped by the mothercare fair yesterday to buy the biggest milk bottle from the brand that baby K is used to, a lady stopped us to introduce some learning program that she was promoting. I had told another salesperson that we send baby K to a childcare centre and immediately he said;" Oh, childcare centre, 80% play, only 20% learning."

The lady somehow caught up with us and repeated the same thing whilst trying to get us to give her 10 minutes of our time to hear her out. She also said by the time it is the 20% learning, how much can the child absorb?

Excuse me, I do not know nor am I interested in her learning program that what, allow a child to absorb 100% of what is taught. Learn by playing! Isn't that being repeated constantly in recent times? And being a parent of a child who unfortunately or not, has to be sent to a childcare centre, I actually amazed myself when I find myself telling people that sending our children to the centre is a good thing!

Baby K has accepted having her hair washed without crying and she is doing exactly what the hubs and I have been trying to teach her which failed. I can tell that she is being toilet trained at school when she proclaims happily and claps when she passes urine in the toilet bowl and when she does it in her diaper, she will sometimes tell me too. Sure, if I had been a SAHM, I would be the one training her and would be the one beaming with joy with every milestone but truth of the matter is, how many parents are actually as patient with their own brood as the people who dedicate their lives to be childcare teachers? Well, ok, maybe not their lives but you get my drift.

Children get positive pressure when they see their peers accomplished something which may take a much longer time, if they have been staying at home. In every situation, there are pros and cons. And for now, my yet to be 2 year old baby will play as much as she wants to and enjoy her toddler years and I will on the other hand, try to teach her as much as I can, without putting any stress or creating any frustration on both mother and child.

2 comments:

  1. well said! they are targeting at kiasu parents who want their kids to learn learn learn. I'm all for giving the kid the childhood they deserve like I did. my dad only a pri sch graduate while my mu never had the chance to go to school. even as a SAHM, I see all the good things cc or IFC provide for the kids. of cos viruses apart, that's inevitable. I am not trained and will def send my son when the time is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They made me wonder if they understood the reason why most parents have to send their children to a childcare centre and by doing so, it means the parents do not have as much time as they like to 'home-school' their children.
      Anyhow, our children need to be exposed eventually and viruses included, it'll turn them into 'stronger' well rounded kids as long as we guide them so.

      Delete