Thursday 28 August 2014

K is now a proud member of the.....National Library! A few Saturdays back, one of the few when we didn't have any plans, we took a train to Clementi and visited the library. This time I remembered bringing her birth certificate along and after a quick process, we spent some time letting her choose what to borrow from the library. 

We went off with 2 cds and a book. Although one can't really go wrong with Sesame Street, I didn't really appreciate the other vcd and book that we borrowed. 

The book was titled 'My First Book of Fairy Tales and Bedtime Stories' while the vcd was a 'Mother Goose' one. Maybe I am reading too much into it but I felt that they did not give out wholesome views especially if these were read by toddlers.

Sure, the fairy tales were read by so many of us when we were younger and look, we turned out alright. But unconsciously, it talks about being the most beautiful (Beauty and the Beast), the fairest (Snow White) and then about taking revenge (Jack and the beanstalk). No wonder, we grow up with such hang-ups about being the right type of beautiful. And then the revenge theme just makes you think it is alright to do so! 

Although I dreaded reading the book after the first round, I did not want her to think otherwise to why we brought her to the library in the first place. The vcd was on nursery rhymes and there was this particular one that was all cheery until the part that went 'This is the way we go to school everyday'. The song went into a really slow-motion mode and the actors appeared like they were dragging themselves to school. And then the next line that went 'This is the way we finish school (or something to the extent), the song was upbeat again! 

Being a parent now, I notice things I would not have otherwise bothered. I will be making more effort in future going through books for her. I do not want K to grow up on thinking that her life would be perfect if she is a princess or if she looks a certain way. Barney & Big Bird (or Elmo in K's sense, she loves him!), we'll be seeing more of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment