Monday 5 March 2018

The party is over and the pre-party stress is hopefully leaving me. I was so stressed preparing for the girl's 6th birthday that my menses went haywire and came about 2 weeks earlier than expected.

We decided on a Rapunzel theme and about 1 month prior, I saw a few Rapunzel theme cakes and got the girl to make the decision. Paid for the cake and the home baker said that she will send me an invoice but it didn't come. 2 weeks later, I asked the home baker about it and she said she was just discharged from the hospital *cue alarm bells* and was not able to send me the invoice. After checks on her carousell page, I noticed that she was still actively uploading pictures. And then when you start panicking, more doubts come your way. That was when I also chanced upon a negative review about this home baker, not delivering and not refunding the money. I wasn't going to have a birthday party without a cake! I was contemplating ordering a cake as a back-up. The hubs said to buy cakes from brick and mortar shops in future.

She still did not send me the invoice as promised and another week later, I asked her again. Finally, I received it few days before the party. 

What was meant to be a party invite for just her K2 friends ended up being extended to the hubs' friends, who ok, are now mine as well. Catering makes more sense for at least 30 pax so I extended it to them as well as to the 2 siblings of the hubs' and their family. And this was also suggested by the hubs. On my side, I had only asked Tim and his new girlfriend to come and it was also because I needed help in decorating the function room. 

The 2nd BIL had to ask the hubs if we are asking their parents to come. Why does he have to ask?? If we are, we will. And then the youngest SIL was telling me that her hubs had wanted to visit his parents on the same Sunday that we were holding the party  and when informed, commented that he will tell his mother. Thankfully the SIL said it was not for him to do so. Why are they such busybodies?? The hubs said it is normal for grandparents to want to be part of their grandchild's birthday. Sure, then I will invite ALL my brothers as well and increase the buffet to feed 40 pax. But it was too late to make any changes so we stuck to our guest list.

We arrived early, decorated the function hall and then it started to pour! Thankfully, all her friends came and had fun. They had fun playing 'pass the parcel', 'pin the tiara' and the all-time favourite pinata. The cake was great! It was moist and soft and I liked the ondeh-ondeh cupcakes. I will order from this lady again despite the fright I went through. Afterall, I am now her customer.

This is meant to be the only 'big' party that we intend to celebrate the girl's birthday. Since at 6, this is the last year of her childcare days, probably may not study in the same primary school as her friends she has been with since 3+? It's like a grand closure of sorts to her 'carefree' days. So I really wanted it to work thus drowning myself in unnecessary stress, really. 

Oh well, we shall see what happens next year. Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment