Tuesday 4 April 2017

When we had lunch with the eldest brother and SIL on Sunday after church, the SIL shared with me her thought. Since her mother is now in a nursing home and her family has hired a maid to care for her father, she has since taken up a part-time job as an Assistant in a after-school daycare and her latest assignment is within a school compound.

I am fairly close to this SIL of mine and ever since she took care of K at 3 months' odd till 20 months, she went on to take care of another baby for a short while before working part-time at 2 other childcare centres and this is also her 2nd stint at a after-school daycare. The brother joked that she's moving up stages and may end up working in a nursing home in time. Lol. 

Anyhow, the SIL was sharing how she thought in 2 years' time, when K enters formal education, she'll come over instead of us sending K to an after-school care. She says after her experience, she felt that it's quite 'sad'. She says that after spending half the day or more in school, these children are still subjected to a 'classroom' environment in the after-school care unlike where they can relax at home. To me, children who have been to childcare will adapt easily to a after-school care environment but I feel that they also mature a lot faster because they see their friends more often then they see their parents. And children such as these are exposed to a lot more from their peers. Whether good or bad.

Of course, the hubs and I prefer to have K 'grow' up in a homely environment. Given a choice, I would not have sent her to a childcare centre but we cannot deny that she learns a lot more in one. I've had thoughts of working on a part-time basis when K enters primary 1 just so that I can ensure she has proper home-cooked lunch when she gets home from school, have proper rests and be in a conducive environment when she does her homework and where she can easily reach out to me when she needs help. 

The SIL even said I just need to cover her transportation costs when I asked her if she was sure she wanted to travel from the East everyday, just to pick K up from school and then travel back from the west when I reach home. But then again, I'll probably start work earlier because K would probably be in the morning session so I would be able to leve work earlier too. Anyhow, this is something that has to be given thought to.

When I do the mental sums, sending K to an after-school care seems more cost efficient and on top of that, she can go for enrichment and tuition provided by private after-school centres. I will not just cover the SIL's transportation costs but will probably pay her a little higher than what the centres charge. And then I have to prepare lunch for both K and her otherwise the SIL will packet lunch, which is not what I prefer. I also do not want to trouble the SIL any further by having her cook lunch.

There are pros and cons, conveniences and inconveniences. The SIL has asked us to think about it but then again, it's not for another 2 years'. But I'm glad that we have this option now. So thankful for such a blessing.

2 comments:

  1. agree with u on all points and indeed very blessed to be able to have options.

    (sorry i've been quiet!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! Looking around for a new place, I see?

      Delete