Monday 28 August 2017

Just as I said that we won't be travelling as much this year, I had another business trip to make to the HQ at Norway. We still won't be travelling as much as last year though. Since the business trip was only going to be for 2 pathetic days, pathetic because you travel 30 hours in total for a 48 hour trip, I planned for a short vacation with the hubs at the stop-over station, Amsterdam.

The boss and I met at the check-in counter last Saturday night and although we sat on the same row, we were along the aisles separated by 2 other passengers in the centre block. Thankfully I had been so busy the whole of Saturday that I could sleep a little on the flight. 

While we arrived in Bergen, Norway, our bags did not. Our initial thought was perhaps due to the tight connection so we were not overly worried. Then we proceeded to an ex-colleague's home for lunch. He was previously our MOO (Manager Overseas office) and he prepared a good spread for us. Typical Norwegian spread, I suppose? 
After spending a few good hours at his home, the boss and I cabbed to the hotel. We decided to go to the mini-market to pick up some toiletries which was very limited and I only ended up being able to get cleansing tissues and cotton pads, which I ended up having no use for. Eventually, our bags did not arrive. And the shops do not open on Sundays!

So we arrived in the office, Monday morning in our Saturday wear. We had to explain to all the other overseas HR colleagues who were staying at the same hotel as us why we were dressed the way we were. Me in my Puma track pants, Mickey top and Adidas sneakers while the boss in her jeans and walking shoes. 

After the Monday's meeting, the whole bunch of us had dinner at the mountain before we headed back to the hotel. And because our bags decided to take a vacation from us, we had to rush to the shops and at that point in time, we were left with a grand 1/2 hour to shop because the shops close early. It is no fun to shop under that sort of pressure and the pressure that you need to buy something. We literally only had the clothes on our back! 

Day 2, still no sign of bags and after the meeting, I headed to the airport with 3 Dutch colleagues while the boss stayed on 1 more day. I caught up with the hubs at Schipol airport with just my sling bag and a H&M plastic bag. I was joking that immigration may think that I am a asylum seeker!

I never saw my bag throughout my holiday and had to spend time to shop for clothes and toiletries. It was never my intention to do any shopping other than souvenirs for this trip. But having said that, the hubs and I did enjoy time spent together. The girl did not want to join us and we are thankful that Ivy volunteered to stay over. The girl had a lot of fun too with Bev and the eldest brother dropping by on separate days to surprise her. She also went over to their home over the weekend.

I was eventually upgraded to business class on the return flight and never had the experience of sleeping for 7 hours straight on flight before. It was good and I do not think I will have the opportunity to travel business again. Lol. The hubs stayed in economy. 
At arrival in Changi, I didn't see my bag at the conveyor belt and went to the Lost & Found to make a report. Somehow, a staff brought my luggage over to me. Hiaz...such a rebel it was. Reuniting with me after going on it's own vacay.

And so, I left for my trip with 1 bag and returned with 2. Hey, I am not going to be carrying plastic bags around for the rest of my holiday. Besides, the airline has given their word that they will compensate us for what we have spent during the delay of our suitcase.
A tale to tell? Definitely!

No comments:

Post a Comment